Some people ask: Isn’t sailing an ocean DANGEROUS?
To which I respond: Is crossing the street safe?
I am more afraid of NOT LIVING than I am of dying.
There are risks inherent in every aspect of life. In world sailing—as in many human endeavors, both mundane and extraordinary—what matters is how prepared you are, what you do to stack the odds in your favor, and perhaps some element of chance.
You’re guaranteed nothing in life except for death. Tomorrow is a gift, not a given. Whatever dream inspires you, be it crossing oceans in a sailboat or otherwise, why not make the most of life while you’re able to?
- “Go for it now. The future is promised to no one.” —Wayne Dyer
- “As you grow older, you’ll find the only things you regret are the things you didn’t do.” —Zachary Scott
- “I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to live the width of it as well.” —Diane Ackerman
- “The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.” —Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” —Helen Keller
- “Don’t be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin.” —Grace Hansen
- “We are always getting ready to live but never living.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “You may delay, but time will not.” —Benjamin Franklin
- “I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.” —William Shakespeare
- “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people just exist.” —Oscar Wilde
- “The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” —Henry David Thoreau
- “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.” —Mark Twain
- “Only when we let go of fear do we allow ourselves to live life to the fullest.” —Maria Koszler
- “Live life to the fullest because it only happens once.” —Maddi Jenkins
- “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” —Mae West
Comic by Sarah Steenland. Head on over for some laughs with her other on-point sailing-related comics!